Did you know that God wrote a book? Yes, He literally did by superintending the writing of every single page of the Bible. And, not only did He write a book, He has also preserved it for hundreds of years and given it to us so that we might know Him as we interact with it and be conformed into the likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ. So, if you are a follower of Jesus, let me encourage you to consistently read God’s Word this year. It holds the answers to everything that we need for life and godliness in this present age.
2 Timothy 3:16-17: All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
The start of a new year presents another opportunity to purpose toward that goal. Maybe you’ll make it through the whole Bible this year, and maybe not. It’s not so much about the quantity of Scripture you read in one year, as much as it is that you read some; and, that you do it intentionally and consistently. So, let’s pick up the Book, and be disciplined in our time in the Word, for it contains the words of life. To do that consistently, you’ll need an intentional plan to help you stay on track. Below are some of my favorite Bible reading plans that have been the most helpful for me over the years. In selecting the right one for you, ask: How often do I plan to read? How much do I plan to read? And, what part(s) of the Bible do I plan to read?
- 5 Day Chronological Plan (BibleReading.com)
- 7 Day Chronological Plan (ESV.org)
- 7 Day Plan (four different literatures per day)
- 7 Day, 7 Literature Plan (bible-reading.com)
- 5x5x5 New Testament Plan (The Navigators)
- One-book-at-a-time Plan (The Navigators)
- 3 year, One Chapter Per Day Plan
- New Testament and Psalms Twice, Old Testament Once Plan (one or two year version available from Robert Murray M’Cheyne)
- Straight Through the Bible, Genesis to Revelation, In One Year Plan
- Two Year, Two Readings Per Day Plan
- The YouVersion Bible app offers many different reading plans for you to carry around on your phone or tablet (click here to browse them all). I have, particularly found these two YouVersion plans to be very helpful:
- Daily Audio Bible has been a very rewarding resource for me. I love to put Brian Hardin’s soothing voice on in the car, and let him read the Bible to me, as I drive around. He will read the Bible to you daily using a rotation of different translations in one year.
- The Bible in One Year app is a great resource. There are three different versions available for download: Classic, youth, express. In addition to the daily reading portions, I have also benefited from Nicky and Pippa Gumbel’s daily devotional thoughts that are included.
- HONORABLE MENTION: It’s not a Bible reading app, but I have also benefitted greatly from the Prayermate app that helps me be more disciplined and faithful in my daily prayer. I highly recommend it!
John 17:17: Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.
I hope you’ll join me and accept the challenge to pick up the Book, make a plan, and be disciplined in your time in the Word this year. You won’t regret it! Feel free to reach out to me if I can answer any questions about these plans, or help you in any way in your walk with Christ.